The original Tourtellotte Memorial High School building, which exists today as administrative offices for the school system, was built in the Greek Revival style. The conerstone was laid in 1907 and the school opened in 1909. The school is named in memory of Dr. Jacob F. Tourtellotte, who was a ships surgeon in the U.S. Navy during the Civil War. The school also houses a small museum, called the “Memorial Room” which contains portraits of Tourtellotte and his family and some of their possessions. It is maintained by the local historical society, and is usually open to the public for tours one Sunday per month.